Friday, February 12, 2010

Happy Valentines Day, Chinese New Year and Islander Day!

I have been substitute teaching at Study Abroad Canada for the past few weeks.  This job is great fun!  I teach adults English as a Foreign Language.  These students range from beginners to advanced, and come from many different countries, including Iran, Saudi Arabia, China, Afghanistan, Korea and Japan.  They are all very bright, well-educated and adventurous people with very interesting stories and viewpoints. 

I  just graduated from my settlement interpreter class at the PEI Association of Newcomers to Canada.  I am tutoring two adults students in English grammar. My Saturday afternoon fiber art class runs for two more weeks, and we are nearly finished with our projects, which will hang in the Provincial library gallery in Cornwall.  They are looking beautiful.  I will have pictures of them on this blog, so stay tuned!  The show opens April 20.  Of course, I am also three weeks into teaching my Legal Environment of Business course for UMassLowell.  On top of all of this, I have been taking an advanced drawing class with Seniors College at UPEI.  I have been very busy, but enjoying every day of it.

This is a big weekend all over the world.  Sunday is Valentines Day.  Monday is a day off here for everyone.  It is the monthly Monday holiday for PEI, called Islander Day.  I am not sure how it is celebrated, but I think it somehow involves staying on the Island and watching it snow.  This is the year all my American friends made fun of me for going north for the winter.  I guess the joke's on them.  Winter has been rather pleasant here, not terribly cold and with light, fluffy snow.  Down south has been blasted over and over with big snow storms this winter.  So I guess you never can tell!

Sunday is Valentines Day.  Monday is Chinese New Year.  Abby's birthday is next week.  A big holiday week for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment