Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Gang's All Here!

Yesterday was Abby's birthday.  On Monday, Aaron called to tell me that he was planning to drive up and stay with us until school starts up again at the beginning of March.  Kathryn had planned to fly in from Montreal and stay until the beginning of March several months ago.  So we are very happy to have the entire family together at the same time for a change.  Dad had no idea Aaron was coming up.  It was to be a complete surprise.  I knew Aaron was leaving early in the morning to drive up.  Of course, it snowed all day steadily.  Around 7pm, I was beginning to get a little concerned, since I was not too pleased with the road conditions at that moment.  Abby and I sat and watched for cars on the road, and saw headlights.  We went to the porch and unlocked the door as we saw red tail lights on the lane.  Abby and I then went back into the living room and sat with Dad.  Aaron took off his shoes, walked into the house and stood right behind his father, who had no idea anyone was there, and said, "Hey, Dad, nice place you have here!"  What a great moment; what a great triple take!  Complete shock and surprise.

When we went to pick Kathryn up at the airport, Aaron hid in the trunk of the car.  (It is a small stationwagon-style car, never fear).  When she opened the hatchback to load her stuff in the back, Aaron jumped out and yelled, "Surprise!"  She just started laughing.

Today was the last day of the Clyde River Women's Institute art quilting and surface design series.  What a fun class it was!  I got to know a group of women in the community, and they made me feel very welcome.  The work they have produced is quite wonderful, and I know we will hang it proudly in the Cornwall Library Gallery space.  This morning's Guardian had a very nice article about the whole LEAP grant program across the Province, and our work was featured quite prominently.  You can read the entire article in the post below.  LEAP is such a great program.  It really gets people out to learn and socialize during the long, cold winter months.  I met so many wonderful people whom I would probably not have met otherwise.  We will be having our open house on April 10 with Julia Purcell's class, and the combined multimedia event includes poetry, journal readings, personal artwork and the art quilts from my course.  I hope we have an excellent turnout, because the women in these courses are very creative, very imaginative, and have a lot to say!

From April 20 to mid May, the art quilts will be exhibited in the Cornwall Library Gallery, and I am sure they will generate a lot of interest.  I hope we can continue with this work on some level, and I hope to teach the course again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment