Monday, January 9, 2012

How the Series Began

Here is the first of the series of art quilts devoted to nuns and saints.  This art quilt was juried into a show at the 119 Gallery in Lowell, MA.  The theme of the exhibit was dreams; and nuns have been a recurring theme in my dreams since I was a child in Catholic school.  Mostly, the dreams revolved around me, being late to class, showing up on the very last day of school just before the MATH EXAM!!! And, of course, I was totally unprepared.  Have you ever had this dream? 

So, I tried to re-create the scene.  First, by choosing the absolutely right color of yellow paint that is ubiquitous in Catholic schools.  Yes, I also taught in Catholic school as an adult in Lowell, and my color memory serves me well!  I remembered the sisters of my childhood: the stern, the sweet and the bemused.  I also remembered that no matter what, the angels and saints were watching our every move, and knew our thoughts.  This could be a blessing or a curse, depending on what kind of day one was having!  Nevertheless, it was a constant theme. 

Notice the little angels, reflecting their sisters' personalities, sitting only on their right shoulders.  This is because all little children were taught that their guardian angels sit at their right side, and the devil was tempting us on from the left side.  That is, of course, unless one was left-handed like me.  I once pointed this out to my teacher who promptly sent me to the office.  I knew that God made me left-handed, and that I could draw much better and write better with my left hand.  So, of course, God reversed the process in me, and all other righteous, left-handed children.  End of story!

This art quilt is called, "The Angels and Saints Are Watching Us."  It has been shown in several juried exhibits in the United States and here in Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment