Friday, March 1, 2013

Amelia the Art Doll










My latest little work of art is called "Amelia" the art doll.  She's a one of a kind sculpture, made from a weighted water bottle, trim and fabric scraps.  Her hair is merino wool, and her face and hands are hand-sculpted polymer clay.  She's completely hand-crafted and hand-stitched.  My wonderful brother-in-law is a dentist, and for Christmas he gave me dental tools to help me work on the finest details of my small sculptures and art quilts.  This doll's armature is a half-litre water bottle, so you can see how comparatively small the facial sculpting is.  I had been sculpting with a pin head, and dental tools make the work so much easier!  When I started working on her, I had no idea she would look like this.  The original idea I had was completely different.  Once I began working on her, her "personality" came alive, and it became very clear that her name should be Amelia.

No comments:

Post a Comment